A look at the calendar indicates that we are about half-way through winter. The afternoons are now longer. It is pretty neat how the increase in light is incremental and goes unnoticed until you realize at the end of the work day that it is not completely dark.
- We haven't had much snow this year and what is on the ground took awhile to get here. It would be nice to have another storm or two for the skiers and snowmobile riders.
- Our daughter in Brooklyn and friends in Maryland have more snow on the ground than we do in Lovell. Although their snow will probably all be gone in a week or so.
- I see people ice-fishing on the lakes and ponds and I'm thinking that it hasn't been cold enough to go out there. I know they measure the ice thickness as they go but I hope everyone is cautious and stays safe.
- As if on cue, the annoying big dip in the pavement on Route 5 just before the Wicked Good Store (going north) has reappeared. And once the warm weather returns, the dip disappears.
- Ethel Hurst has returned from Florida and I am pretty sure that people were reading the Conway Daily Sun and the Bridgton News wondering what happened to her column. Welcome back!
- It seems to me that interest around here in this year's Super Bowl has declined sharply after last Sunday's playoff game. It is always fun to watch the game and without your team in it, you can sit back and relax.
- This year's Super Bowl is in Santa Clara at the new Levi's Stadium. I had the pleasure of watching the Ravens lose to the 49'ers there in October. What a tremendous facility--easy access via light rail and close to downtown San Jose. But it will be a busy area with all of the required security. It would be nice to see Peyton Manning win one more but the Panthers look pretty tough.
- The Fryeburg Academy's girls' basketball team is having a good year so far. Tonight they host rival Lake Region who is also having a strong year. Expect a packed gym tonight!
- Isn't it nice that Valentine's Day falls on a Sunday this year. The 16th Annual Taste of Lovell, from 2pm to 4pm will be at the Charlotte Hobbs Memorial Library. Appetizers, chocolate and live music. Get some unbelievable food for just $5 or $8 with all proceeds benefitting the library.